Certainly!  I am experienced in both British English and American English.

And yes, I have received requests to edit in ‘Australian English’… ‘New Zealand English’… ‘Hong Kong English’… ‘Canadian English’… ?

Is there really any substantive difference between UK English and U.S. English?

Let’s not go there… it will take more than a 200,000-word doctoral dissertation or book to answer.

In regards to academic writing, it isn’t just casual reminders about “s” vs. “z”; whether “honor” should be spelled with a “u”; the correct placement of “r” in “theater”; or whether commas and period marks (full stops) should come before (or after) quote marks.

The nuances of British vs. American English go beyond all that.

In mathematics, for instance, in America, “any fraction of two integers” is known as a common fraction (or simple fraction); in England, the correct term is vulgar fraction.

An inexperienced editor familiar only with one form of English would simply have hit the “find” button on the word processor and replaced unfamiliar words with what s/he perceives is “correct” in the version he or she knows.

Educated (and drilled to no end) in both systems, I’ve crossed the divide multiple times, and I am fully cognizant of what it takes to get an academic paper or book to publishable standards and be submission-ready in British or American English (or Australian English, if your adviser insists, or any other system).